Accreditation & Rankings
Eastern Kentucky University holds the highest level of accreditation available. EKU is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS*). This regional accrediting body is recognized by both the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA**) and the United States Department of Education (USDE).
Accreditation through one of the six regional accrediting agencies is the highest standard an institution can receive.
Students can be confident that credits earned at one regionally accredited school will transfer to other regionally accredited universities.
Studying at an accredited institution is especially important if you plan on transferring or continuing your education.
The regional accrediting agencies are:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
In addition, Eastern Kentucky University has received numerous accolades:
- Named one of the Top 10 Online Colleges in the Nation in 2010 by “Best Colleges.”
- Included in US News and World Report’s annual listing of top colleges and universities as a first-tier regional university.
- Listed by Forbes Magazine as being in the top 10 percent of America’s colleges and universities for the sixth year in a row.
- Recognized by Military Times Edge magazine as second in the nation in the "Best for Vets: Colleges" issue.
- Ranked in the top 15 percent of educational institutions doing the most to embrace veterans as students and designated as one of America’s most Veteran Friendly campuses by GI Jobs magazine.
- Among only 230 of America’s colleges and universities to be recognized for community engagement – both curricular and in practice – by the Carnegie Foundation.
*Eastern Kentucky University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Eastern Kentucky University. The Commission on Colleges should be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution’s significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.
** Council for Higher Education Accreditation: One Dupont Circle N.W., Suite 510, Washington, DC 20036 / Phone: 202-955-6126 / Web: www.chea.org.
Published on December 12, 2011